Monday, January 26, 2009

The Game of Life

Last night my sister and I went to the Comcast Center to watch #13 Maryland women take on #3 North Carolina. As it turned out we definitely couldn't have asked for a better game! (p.s. Terps won 77-71!) Check out the picture. There we are in the VIP seats baby!


The game yesterday, though, however important it was, wasn't just about who won or lost. It was bigger than that. On the day following the death of women's basketball coaching legend, Kay Yow, both teams, their coaching staffs and fans donned pink apparel in honor of an amazing woman. After heroically battling breast cancer for over twenty years, Coach Yow finally lost the fight on Saturday January 24th, 2009.

Despite all of her accomplishments on the court, none of those could come close to surpassing the impact she had on the lives of others. Her players, her fellow coaches and their players, or even random fans like me...her story touched us all. She was a true inspiration and the ultimate winner in the game of life.

Most of us, including myself, go around, down on life over little things like lost luggage, issues at work, or a devastating breakup (wink wink). We think why me? Pity on me. What did I do to deserve this? Yow, being the amazing woman she was, said "I don't think, why me? I think, why not me? It's life. And as you go through life, it's just, to me, inevitable that you're going to face tough times. I have zero control over what happens to me, cancer being an example. But I have 100% control over how I choose to respond. Attitude is a choice."

Amen! God bless you Coach Yow <3



Quote of the day: "If there's a team in heaven, I know she's already coaching it." ~Brenda Frese

No comments: