Friday, January 23, 2009

More than just a blog

I decided to come home to see the fam this weekend, and as I'm lying in my bed this morning, checking my work email on my laptop, my mom comes in to chat a little. As we are sitting there talking about life and all the chaos of it, I decided to show her my blog. Being that she barely even knows what the Internet is, I was sure she would have no idea what a blog was. But to my surprise (I actually wish I could've seen the look on my face) she immediately said, "Oh yeah, my friend at work has one of those. I just don't get it. Why would people want to air their dirty laundry like that?"

Hmmm...Good question mom. That really got me thinking. Why do people have blogs? What is the appeal of typing out your innermost thoughts and feelings everyday, and posting them online so anyone and everyone can read them?

Well, I guess the truth for me is, writing is my therapy. It's not about who reads it, or what they think about it. It's all about me. Ever since my eighth birthday, when my best friend Alexa bought me my first diary, I've been in love with expressive writing. Yeah I definitely could have done without all of those 12 page papers about nonsense I had to do in college, but when it comes to expressing my own thoughts on paper (or on screen in this case) about my day, my opinions, my feelings...there is just something about it that I love.

I don't have to hold anything back. I don't have to worry about it coming out wrong or worry about being judged for what I say. I can write exactly what I feel, no matter how stupid or trivial it may seem to others. And the best part is that days, months or even years later I can look back at what I wrote, remember the feelings I felt at that exact moment, and reflect on how my life has since evolved.

I'm sure tonight when I lay down for bed at my parents house, like I always do, I will grab one of the millions of old diaries I have in my bookcase and sift through the pages as I drift off to sleep. The excitement of my first crush, the scary feeling of leaving for college, or the pain of losing my first love...its all wrapped up in those pages. Those are things I never want to forget...so that is why I write.



Quote of the day: "The more space I get the better I write. Never I write, but, if ever I write, I need the space to say whatever I like." ~ Jay-Z

3 comments:

CIP said...

Love this! This is so part of the reason I blog too. I always used to keep journals or diaries!

♥Anna♥ said...

I am an author, and I know an author when I see one Robyn! True writing is definitely from the heart! That is exactly what you do. And when you say these things, "I know I might sound stupid" your posts are much, much better than you think! Expressing your feelings in writings is the best therapy for peace of mind, let it all out! I really admire you for sharing this all on your blog! I still, too, read diaries from when I was younger, giggling and laughing at the weird and random things I did, laughing as I remember my fave dolls and toys and friends.

♥Anna♥ said...

*writing. Sorry, I put writings!