Thursday, January 29, 2009

Heartbreaker

Today is a pretty lousy day for me :( Feeling like I'm in a total funk. Not sure exactly why, but maybe it has to do with this annoying cough I have, me burning my forehead with my curling iron this morning, or maybe having to spend an hour digging my car out of the snow and ice before I could even leave for work.

Oh yeah, or it could be the most obvious reason...my Duke Blue Devils lost last night to Wake. So much for our #1 ranking...That sure was short lived.

As excited as I was in my blog yesterday, that's pretty much how disappointed I am today.

Wasn't a 44 point embarrassment or anything like that. Nope, complete opposite. It was a buzzer-beater. Which in my opinion is way worse. After being down by thirteen points, when everyone counted us out, we climbed all the way back and tied it up with 2 seconds left. Still shaking from Gerald Henderson's amazing shot, I was pumped that we were miraculously going to send the game into overtime. But no...like a dager in my heart, with 2.8 seconds on the clock, they threw a short inbounds pass under the basket for an easy layup. And just like that, the game was over. No overtime. No chance for us to score. Game over :( 70-68

Painful, I know. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it again. Then to make matters even worse, it hit me like a ton of bricks, when the game ended and I wanted to pick up the phone and share my pain with someone, I had nobody. And by nobody I mean no J. Sure I was texting with my sister and a couple other of my Duke hater guy friends, and I'm sure any one of them would have been more than willing to talk if I wanted to, but the truth is it just isn't the same. For 3 1/2 years J was the person I called. When I was happy, when I was sad, when I was scared, or when I was just lonely, whether he really wanted to talk or not, he was always there for me. And now he is not. That's a hard thing to get used to. Losing my boyfriend is one thing, but losing my best friend is a total other thing.

Don't get me wrong, do I want him back? No. Would I take him back if I had the chance? No. Is it really even him that I miss? No. But does that make my heart hurt any less? Unfortunately, no :(



Quote of the day: "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help." ~Calvin

No comments: