Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Without A Doubt, I'm My Fathers Daughter

Isn't it so funny that when we are young we look at some of the things our parents do and laugh at them hysterically and mock them relentlessly for it. Then when we grow up...yep, we find ourselves doing the exact same things.

Well, today that realization hit me like a ton of bricks, and actually had me chuckling out loud a little bit about it.

It's official, you can just call me my dad.

For years I used make fun of him for ridiculously over-researching his purchases before he made them. A new car or a new pizza cutter, no matter what it was, my father could never fathom the thought of an impulse purchase. He would first look it up in Consumer Reports, compare it with other similarly classed products, ask the opinions of all his friends, scour the Internet for reviews, and then finally...months later (sometimes even years later), based on all of his findings, he would be tickled pink to have purchased what he knew was the very best of whatever it was.

A little ridiculous huh? Yeah I definitely thought so too. "Way to go dad, you got the Mercedes of pizza cutters. Brag on man!"

But I'll be damned if I didn't just do the exact same thing.

Ever since I met V, a professional photographer who goes to my church, I've been absolutely obsessed with photography. Being that I'm a graphic designer by day, I already naturally lean on the side of artsy so its really not too shocking that the art of photography intrigues me.

Anyways, from the very first moment I looked at his online portfolio I convinced myself "I NEED an SLR Camera" (those big, professional looking ones you manually adjust..for all you non geeks). So for the past few months, in dad-like fashion, I've been researching til I've been blue in the face (yeah, thats a lie...but I really did do a lot of research though, just not the blue face-turning kind).

Either way, the point is...I finally did it! I took the plunge and ordered one. In a few days, with my wallet a few pounds lighter, I will have my very own SLR Camera. The Canon XSi is the one I finally decided on. Yippeee! I can't wait. Now I just have to learn how to use the darn thing.

Quote of the day: "He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." ~Clarence Budington Kelland

9 comments:

jlc said...

Wow I LOVE that quote there. Your dad sounds like such an amazing man.

Hey it's not SO bad to be like our parents right?

:)

Unknown said...

Lucky! :)

Alison said...

Ooooh how exciting!!! One day I'd love to have one of those. Good for you for doing your research though - for something that expensive you really need to! Which one did you get?

Charis said...

Weird, I'm about to get an SLR too! I'm thinking the Nikon D60...mind if I pick your brain on what you think of it, providing you came across it in your research?

Charis said...

Thanks for the camera advice bud!

Ashley said...

love the quote!

Sheri, RN said...

lol I find things I do similar to my parents too, it is weird huh?

I have a few awards for you to pick up over at my Blog. :)

Wearing Mascara said...

GREAT quote :-)

Also, just wanna let you know that my blog has switched to WordPress and for many people it's not showing up in their readers. Visit: wearingmascara.com to make sure it's showing up properly! (You may have to delete and then add it again). xoxo,

Julie

Lady Jane said...

I would Looovvee to have a camera like that!! And I know exactly what you mean about turning out tlike your parents!! Is see it with my mom and I all the time now. Ahhhh.....