Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ouch. Someone. Help. Please.

So last night I was sitting at my desk in my room removing links from a new Kenneth Cole watch that I just got. Yeah, you know I'm too cheap and my time is too valuable to actually take it to a jeweler and have them do it for me like you are suppose to. Heaven forbid I just hand over $5 and wait 5 minutes for a professional to do it...nope that would be too easy.

Instead I opted to do it myself. And actually to my surprise it went rather well. Shocking, I know.

With my sophisticated watch repair tools, also known as a thumb tack and scissors, I was able to push the link pin through with the tack, grab it with the scissors and pull it out the other side.

Removed a few links. Made sure the new size fit perfectly. Yada Yada Yada. Really smooth process.

Until that is...I'm trying to push the final pin back in, just that little extra bit to make sure it is completely secure. Pushing with all my force of course, the thumb tack slips and proceeds to enter entirely into my thumb. Oh My Gosh!

Can you say OUCH!!!! Quite possibly the most pain I've ever been in.

I pulled the "thumb" tack out quickly. Held my hand out as far to the left as I could and turned my head and eyes as far to the right as I could, thinking of course that avoidance would somehow make everything that just happened, including the pain, all just go away. Yeah, didn't so much work :(

So when I finally mustered up enough courage to actually look at my thumb I was totally shocked...absolutely nothing. No blood. Barely a visible mark of where the pin went in. Hmmm. So I grabbed my thumb with my other hand to get a closer look, and just like that I struck oil... blood was squirting EVERYWHERE. I've never seen anything like it. For a half hour I ran my hand under cold water while blood just gushed out. Didn't even think I had that much blood in my entire body. Pretty sure I was on the brink of fainting.

Those are the times when you are actually grateful, for a change, that you have roommates so they can take care of you when emergencies happen. But of course, with my luck, neither of them were around when I really needed them. Figures.

Quote of the day: "God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

P.S. Today is the ex's birthday. Ugh! :/

4 comments:

Charis said...

Oh my lord honey that SUCKS! (but IS very funny)

Here's hoping that the thumb heals quickly! And so do the thoughts of the ex!

(I understand about the roomie thing. I'm the resident bug killer)

Amber said...

OMG! That doesn't sound like fun! So the watch fit great now, I hope?! That reminds me of the time i wanted to see what would happen if i stuck my hand in dad's stapler and squeezed. Blood all over the kitchen walls......... how stupid!

Anonymous said...

Oh! That makes my thumb hurt just thinking about it!

Once, I stapled my thumb. The staple went THROUGH the fingernail! I couldn't get it out on my own. And oh, how I cried!!!

Anonymous said...

you poor thing. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am at the edge of my seat waiting for Robyn's next word. This is the best blog ever- the thumb, the camera, the ex. I would put her up there with Obama as the person I would most like to meet