Monday, March 30, 2009

Back to Business

My birthday week is officially over :( How depressing!

The anticipation and excitement, abundance of gifts and desserts, and special attention that came along with my birthday has now faded and all I'm left with (other than the ten extra pounds that probably went straight to my hips thanks to one too many pieces of birthday cake) is the simple fact that...I'm 25. And that, in and of itself, really isn't all its cracked up to be.

I made a pact on my 21st birthday that that one would be my last. No more aging...21 seemed to me to be a great age to stay at eternally. But I guess my birthday didn't get the memo because every year, despite my plea, it continues to come around again. Augh!

But in all seriousness, my birthday this year was pretty fabulous. I was a little worried that my first JJ-less birthday might be a real downer, but I already successfully made it through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years without him and my birthday turned out to be no different.

Just like I predicted, he didn't call, email, text, facebook me...nothing...and although I did a good job of not letting it get me down, inside I was really hoping he would, just so I could ignore it and feel the pleasure associated with having the upper hand. But oh well. Some day.

I spent my birthday with the people who really love me and always will, no matter what...my family...and that's what really matters.

We had a great time together.

Friday afternoon the weather was nice so my mom, sister and I decided to go for a bike ride on the Allegheny Highlands Trail. We rode 7 miles up and 7 miles back and, despite my deluxe bike seat, my inner thighs are still hurting. We saw a few wild turkeys, chatted it up with some guy carrying a gun to protect himself from the bears (yes, there really are turkeys and bears there...crazy), and of course stopped along the way to take a few pictures.

Here are a some of them. I hesitated sharing these because I really don't think I've ever looked stupider, but oh well, laugh all you want :)


And other than shopping, exercising, eating (a lot), and going to church, this is how we spent the rest of weekend......On the couch watching college basketball together! My kind of weekend!


Quote of the day: "Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. " ~ Brad Henry

7 comments:

Niki said...

What a great weekend! I'm glad you had a good birthday!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had fun!!! Umm what are talking about stupid? You look soo good. Kinda jealous, especially how you look in those pants. Watch out!

Boys are stupid. Nothing more you need to say or think about on that subject!

Love ya:)

Anonymous said...

fun bike riding! you should join us this weekend... we'll have you back in time for final four action hehe! :-) your fam is so cute! you'll have to tell your momma that i said hello!

Kristen said...

boo to him. i know you still wanted a little shout out from him at least though. been there. the great thing is - you had a wonderful bday week! and you look so cute in the outfit!! :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous birthday and weekend! I can't wait to start bike riding again when the weather is nice again :)

Christina said...

That bike ride looks like so much fun! I have one of those deluxe seats on my bike as well and I ALWAYS end up sore :(

Congrats on getting through the big day despite not having the ex around. I know how hard that is...but it gets easier =]

hHf said...

how fun! what a wonderful weekend!!

I am so happy to hear that you had a great birthday!

Family is the best...especially sisters<3