Wednesday, March 18, 2009

You Know What Sucks?...Change

My mom and dad got married over 30 years ago and have been happily married ever since. My dad’s first real job after finishing up his PhD was at Allegany Ballistics Laboratory and he has worked there ever since. Likewise, my moms first real job was at the local hospital (delivering little babies. awww.) and she too has worked there ever since. They’ve lived in the same house, gone to the same church, vacationed at the same place, done the same things... year in and year out.

That's us. I'm the little tike fresh out of the womb.

So I guess what I’m trying to get at, in a roundabout sort of way, as always, is…I HATE CHANGE!

My parents provided me with the most stable of upbringings, which I will forever be grateful for (thanks mom and dad!), but because of it I have the darnedest time accepting when things in my life change. And by "things" I mean ANY little thing. For goodness sakes I've cried after getting my hair cut before...and not necessarily because I hated it, just because it wasn't "the same".

Yeah, I know...I'm nuts.

Just yesterday in fact I decided to relocate from my corner office at work to one closer to the printer (which I wore the heel off quite a few pair of my favorite pumps running back and forth to so much). And just from that tiny little move I could instantaneously feel the sadness knot forming in my stomach and the symptoms of separation anxiety beginning to kick in.

Separation anxiety from changing the location of my desk space in the office? Really, what is wrong me?

Big things or little things, actually important in the larger scheme of life or not, it seems that just when I get used to the way things are, life comes along and changes it all up. The worst part is that even when I know the change is better for me, I still just hate the newness of it all.

I guess maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm having such a hard time with this breakup. Even though my head knows its better for me in the long run, the fact that my life is no longer the same as it has been for quite a few years is what is really throwing me for a loop. I'm used to my morning wake up call and my good night I love yous. I'm used to knowing (or thinking I know) what my future holds. I'm used to the whole routine of it. And then BAM...just like that I get hit with the your-life-has-changed-and-there-is-nothing-you-can-do-about-it stick!

Ughh! Anyone else despise change? Or is it just me?


Quote of the day: “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

11 comments:

kuhkjhkh said...

oh yeah totally me!! I like everything to be exactly how it was or else I freak out!! I hear ya sister!

Anonymous said...

awww you & your cutie family!! honestly, as much as some of us want to say that we like change, it's always tough, whether it is good for us or not... even though i've lived and traveled to a lot of other places for extended periods of time, moving here was awful for the first like 7 months... stupid change, but good thing is - that eventually, that feeling... it goes away :-)

Niki said...

Yep, I definitely HATE change!!

StephieMae said...

Totally wit you sista! I hate no scratch that I loathe change. The only dilemma-I can't seem to kick it. Everywhere I turn there it is with a huge ol smerk. Lame right. I always notice that when change does creep into our lives however uncanny or not the way it came to be I always have a fit and get emotional. Glad to know it's a norm thing (at least for us) but the beauty is change is inevitable and it blesses us in all things-sometimes we don't pick up on it sometimes we do but in the long run it has a silver lining hands down!

Wearing Mascara said...

Change is a topic that most people love to TALK about or say they are all for change but really they aren't. I'm one of those people and completely agree. It's even hard for me to go into a restaurant and order something different if I've already had something I love there. Hahaha

Anonymous said...

I hate changings too. I think that if i rebel or throw a tantrum everything will stay the same. Then i realize I am 23 not 4!

Ugh, so sorry about the break up, sweetie! If you need to chat, I will be more than happy to listen!!

Love your quote!

Kristen said...

i love reading your quotes on each post! :) in the infamous words of tupac "i guess change is good for any of us..." in the end usually change is good. but it is not something you are used to. i know your bummed about the break up - feel free to vent to your bloggy friend.

Anonymous said...

Not of fan of change myself. Love the quote!!

Where'd you get your super cute layout??

Anonymous said...

I tried to find out info on how to make blogs via google, but most of them seem to require programs I do not have ... like photoshop!

Any help would be lovely :)

Christina said...

I feel the same way, but I've had so much change in the past couple of years that I'm learning that God has a plan and it all happens for a reason. And it's OK to get the same lunch everyday :)

The break up thing is so hard, I don't know if that feeling ever goes away. For me, the bad times faded and now I mostly hold onto the good times, it's all you can do!

kadler said...

Hate. It.