Monday, February 23, 2009

I Love Snail Mail


As I'm walking back from the gym, sweaty and exhausted from yet another workout that just totally kicked my butt, I decide to stop by the mail room and pick up our daily deliveries courtesy of Mr. Postman. Expecting the usual--- fun postcards and love notes for my roommate, and bills and bank statements for me, I am pleasantly surprised to see a handwritten card WITH MY NAME ON IT!

As a huge smile creeps across my face I can't help but think "Ha Ha, I got something fun in the mail this time and you didn't. Take that!" (Yeah... I know... you can just call me Ms. Maturity thankyouverymuch)

But upon farther inspection of the envelope I notice the return address is so sneakily missing. Who could it be from? I'm a huge fan of mysteries!

So, using my best agent Scully skills I then decide to take a look at the handwriting of my address and realize...this is no mystery. It's so from sister. I would know that handwriting anywhere.

Putting the card back on the pile with the rest of our mail, I decide I'll just wait until I get into my apartment and drop the others off before I open it. But who am I kidding? I have no patience and of course proceed to rip the darn thing open 10 seconds later while still on the elevator.

It was a card, that was indeed from my sister (yeah, my detective skills are just that good) and this is what it said:

"My Sister, My Friend

A sister is someone you love for all time-
She's your friend, your adviser, your "partner in crime"-
She laughs at your jokes, and she listens so well
To the wonderful story you just have to tell...
She'll cheer for your team, and she'll lead the applause
For your winning performance or favorite cause
With love in her heart and a smile on her face,
A sister is someone no one can replace.

I can't imagine what I'd do without a great sister and friend like you."

Awww...right then and there my heart just melted. I love cards, especially meaningful ones, and more than anything I love getting them in the mail.

There is just something about the fact that someone actually took the time to pick out a card especially for me, wrote a personal message in it, addressed it, put a stamp on it, and sent it that makes my heart smile :)

Good old fashioned snail mail... So great. Good old fashioned snail mail from my amazing sister...nothing better.



Quote of the day: " To write a good letter, you ought to begin without knowing what to say, and to finish without knowing what you have written." ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

6 comments:

CIP said...

Aww! Snail mail is this best!

hHf said...

precious! I LOVE to get Mail in my Snail mail box! ALWAYS the highlight of my day!

Niki said...

Thanks for visiting my blog:) Yours is great! I love snail mail too, makes me feel so important!

Anonymous said...

Awwww....I need to send a card to my big sis:) Love the side column 'Wishing I wasn't so pale' commetn!!!

Charis said...

I love snail mail too! About a year ago I made a goal to start sending old-fashioned handwritten letters (it lasted about a season or so). But, I'm trying to bring it back this year! It's so nice to get stuff like that :)

Anonymous said...

Aw i love this post! I didn't even realize there was no return address! LOL